Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Neck

I am a whore for the neck massage.

The more I work on a computer and telephone, the more I look like my grandpa - hunched, stooped, like my spine doesn't include my cervical vertebrae. It's like my back has a memory of what I've done to it Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m., and it's angry, and it's too exhausted to do anything but flop.

I think of my neck like a thousand disorganized paper cranes, each papery vertebra jangling around in misalignment. Other times, I think of my neck muscles like tense feral cats needing to be calmed with presents - a heating pack, a folded over pillow, hanging upside down from the side of the couch.

The one time I paid for a professional massage, the masseuse said, "Work with computers much?" Yeah... it makes me wonder if there will be a generation of Quasimodos like me someday.

Submitted by Jenn Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak to us!